This is a general summary of the rules and regulations which apply to the most common species on Prior Lake. For the full Minnesota fishing regulations guide:http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2016.pdf
The 2016 to 2017 Fishing season ENDS February 26th 2017 for the following species:
Walleye, Sauger, Small Mouth and Large Mouth Bass, and Northern Pike. (Perch, Bullheads, Crappies, Sunfish and similar pan fish species are in season all year).
- May 13th to February 25th for Walleye and Northern Pike
- May 13th to May 27th for catch and release for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass
- May 27th to February 25th for keeping Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass
The season for bullheads and pan fish such as sunfish, crappies, and related species is continuous throughout the year.
- Walleye and Sauger: 6 with only one in possession over 20 inches.
- Northern Pike: 3 with only one in possession over 30 inches
- Perch: 10
- Sunfish, Crappies, and similar pan fish: 20
- Bullheads: 100
Common Rules and Regulations:
- Anyone between the ages of 16 and 89 years of age require a fishing license. Persons assisting anyone under the age of 16 with fishing does not need a license.
- You cannot dispose of minnows or other bait in the lake. Unwanted bait must be disposed of in the garbage.
- Destroy all carp that are caught on Prior Lake.
Prior Lake is unfortunately home to invasive species such as Eurasian water milfoil, curly leaf pondweed, and Zebra mussels. Please click this link for regulations regarding cleaning your boat and trailer before leaving the lake.
Please Enjoy Prior Lake Respectfully and Safely!